Monday, October 14, 2013

Gratitude

Lately, I have been trying to make a point of feeling gratitude. Every day, I try to stop and think of one or more things that I am grateful for. Lately, I've also noticed in articles I've read and TED Talks I've watched that gratitude comes up again and again in discussions and research about what makes people happy. And, the more I think about it, the more I find things I am grateful for.

I am grateful for family whose love, advice, and support in everything I do in life is absolute and unwavering.

I am grateful for friends who provide a listening ear, a source of company and laughter, and are always looking out for me.

I am grateful for technology which allows me to stay healthy, live independently, and provides a source of endless fascination and enjoyment.

I am grateful for medications that keep me alive every day, that provide a safety net in emergencies, and that may someday lead to a cure.

I am grateful for my country which provides safe cities, abundant food, and clean drinking water ... things so many people can't take for granted.

I am grateful for my job which provides a source of income, new challenges and opportunities, and allows me the great privilege of helping others.

Most of all, I am grateful for being alive. Every day, I am aware that this is an immense gift. In the past 48 hours I have woken with a blood sugar of 2.6 mmol/L; I have crossed the street multiple times; I have had an afternoon of repeated asthma attacks; I have watched the evening news; I have been served hashbrowns at a restaurant (even after witnessing the server scribble a note about my anaphylactic allergy). I am continually aware that this gift could be taken away from me at any instant, without notice ... and therefore I am grateful, every day.

Happy Thanksgiving to those living in Canada. I hope it has been a wonderful long weekend filled with family, friends, and gratitude. And I hope everyone can continue to find things to be grateful for every day for the rest of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I have a quick question about your blog, could you email me when you have a chance? Thanks! -Cam

    ReplyDelete